Ramble round Rathdowney

Ramble round Rathdowney

DONAGHMORE COMMUNITY ALERT – Burglary in Haydon, Donaghmore, just past the Creamery. Front gate lock cut. Ride on lawnmower and other tools taken. Any info to Abbeyleix Gardai 057 8730580.

Woodenbridge Community Alert

An example of a Laois Community Alert scheme: Woodenbridge Community Alert

Rathdowney-Errill GAA 

The Rathdowney-Errill GAA Juvenile AGM scheduled for tonight has been cancelled.

Rathdowney Credit Union

The Christmas Open Day is on this Friday 11th Dec.
Refreshments served from 10.30a.m. to 2.00p.m. and 3.00p.m. to 5p.m.
Draw for members on the Day.



Rathdowney Pop-Up Village
Great to see the car park full again for the Christmas Pop-Up Village. The next Pop-Up will be held on Sunday Jan 31st. Bookings being taken now to or by phone to 087-2852153.

Rathdowney: Did you know?
Anthony Brendan Byrne was a former professional football player.He was born in Rathdowney on 2 February 1946.He won a total of 14 caps for Ireland and during his career from 1963 to 1978 played for Millwall,Southampton,Hereford United and Newport County.He was originally a midfield player who switched to left-back and he had a career total of 229 league games scoring 4 goals.

After only one appearance for Millwall he was signed by Ted Bates for Southampton for a fee of £8,000 in August 1964.Although he made his debut in an FA Cup tie against Crystal Palace in January 1965,Byrne took a long time to break into the Southampton first team, mainly because of a broken leg sustained in a reserve team match in April 1966.He eventually overcame this setback to make his league debut on 18 April 1967 in front of a 54,921 crowd at Old Trafford as relegation-threatened Southampton went down 3–0 to Manchester United.He was slightly built for a defender and “although quick and diligent, he struggled to carve a permanent niche in Southampton’s notoriously robust rearguard”.

Anthony Brendan Byrne

Anthony Brendan Byrne

His best season with Southampton was 1969-70,in which he made 35 league appearances,playing in defence alongside Joe Kirkup and John McGrath,as Southampton again fought to avoid relegation.He scored his first league goal in the final match of the season in a 1–1 draw against Derby County.Having given away Derby’s 88th minute goal after a poor back-pass,Byrne quickly turned from villain to hero as he slotted in a bobbling ball in the 90th minute in a dramatic climax to the season.

He stayed at Southampton for ten years during which time he made a total of 114 first team appearances and won 14 Irish caps.

In August 1974 he moved to Hereford United to join former Southampton colleague Terry Paine for three seasons before finishing his career with Newport County.

Amazingly his Irish international debut in October 1969 in Dublin against Denmark was the first time he had kicked a ball in his native land because he had emigrated to London with his parents at the age of 12

After retiring from football, he worked as a foreman at Hereford golf course before working as a builder.