Preview of Heritage Week
Highlights of this year’s programme in Laois include:
– “Homes for Wildlife” a fun wildlife discovery event for all the family in Portlaoise Town Park on Monday 24th August at 12pm
– Guided tours of Stradbally Hall each morning (between 9am and 1pm)
– Kids and family events at a range of libraries, including wildlife art with Gordon D’Arcy, Irish History Live, Good Old Days Victorian musical show and “What’s in that Rock” Geology for kids – details at www.laoislibraries.ie.
– Kids shipwreck archaeological dig at Abbeyleix Heritage House at 11am on Tuesday 25th August
– A wildlife walk in the Slieve Blooms to find Dippers on Tuesday 25th August at 7.30pm
– A talk on placenames of Ireland at the Balcony Theatre Mountmellick at 8pm on Thursday 27th August
– A presentation on the indistrial railways of the Midlands in Portlaoise Parish Centre at 7.30pm on Friday 28th August
– Free guided tours of Emo Court on Sunday 23rd and Sunday 30th August, with a talk by Ray Murphy on the late Major Cholmeley-Harrison on Sunday 23rd at 2pm and a music recital on Sunday 30th at 2pm (Note this is a change from the previously advertised dates).