Latest Laois News: Sinn Féin in Laois holding ‘day of action’ today to highlight spiralling cost of living
Sinn Féin in Laois holding ‘day of action’ today as spiralling cost of living needs to be tackled according to local TD
Spiralling cost of living needs to be tackled – Stanley
Sinn Féin is calling for action to be taken to address the spiralling cost of living.
Local Sinn Féin TD Brian Stanley said “Many families are working are under severe financial pressure at the moment. A survey the Sinn Fein undertook in recent weeks drew a huge response. The findings bring into focus the challenges that people are having just to meet their basic needs.’’
“Over 14,500 people responded to this survey and 72% are in Employment, 7% are retired with the remainder either students or unemployed. 76% reported being very concerned at rising costs, with a similar number reporting that this is having a negative impact on their mental health.
The main areas they highlighted as being most impacted were household heating/electricity 93%, groceries/food 79%, car 80%, rising rents 36% and childcare 17%.
“Sinn Féin have put forward a number of proposals to ease the burden on workers and families, these include:
- Bringing more households in to the winter fuel scheme and halting increases in the carbon tax.
- Budgeted proposals to reduce the cost of childcare for parents and moving to a more European model of state provided childcare.
- Freezing rents and giving renters an 8.5% tax rebate on rent paid.
- Legislate to lower the cost of insurance further. Sinn Féin has already got the Central Bank to investigate “dual pricing’’ and the findings have forced some companies to abandon this unfair practice.
- Legislate to ensure all workers are earning, at a minimum, a living wage. This rate to be determined by a living pay commission.
These actions and others are needed to stop increasing numbers of workers, families and our elderly from having to endure poverty and hardship’’.
“This Saturday (Dec 11) , Sinn Féin in Laois are holding a day of action to highlight the crisis facing many households’’,