Latest Laois News: Laois Green Party reps welcome almost €500k in Outdoor Infrastructure Funding for county
Green Party Local Area Reps welcome additional Outdoor Infrastructure Funding in Laois of €490,000.
Welcoming the funding, Sean McManus, Portlaoise Local Area Representative said the following:
“I am delighted to welcome this funding which will provide for a number of projects which were recently discussed at a Green Party Webinar on Revitalising Portlaoise, including active travel, pedestrianisation and outdoor dining”.
John Holland, Graiguecullen/ Portarlington Local Area Representative said as follows:
“This funding will go a long way in supporting business in Laois who have suffered over Covid and allow for the continued, safe reopening of businesses in our town centres. I am delighted to see funding towards the improvement of our public spaces and amenities”. Noting that although Portarlington did not receive funding under this stream Mr Holland is aware that “Laois County Council has applied for funding for additional planters and outdoor seating under this scheme for Portarlington and hopefully they will be successful in future streams”.
Laois County Council will receive this additional funding for the following projects in Portlaoise, Mountrath, Mountmellick and Stradbally;
1. The repurposing and transformation of a portion of Market Square, Portlaoise to provide additional outdoor space for amenities such as public seating and dining.
2. The repurposing and transformation of a portion of Lyster Square, Portlaoise in the vicinity of Lyster Lane to provide additional outdoor space for amenities such as public seating and dining.
3. The Pedestrianisation of Portlaoise’s Lower Main Street resulting in the reassignment of existing parking spaces on Lower Main Street to a defined shared area.
4. The repurposing and transformation of the central portion of O’Connell Square, Mountmellick to provide additional outdoor space for amenities such as public seating and dining.
5. The council will be introducing a more formalised parking arrangement in the centre of Mountrath to enable the adapting and enhancement of public areas to improve accessibility, public realm improvement works and provision of cycling infrastructure and street furniture.
6. Outdoor seating/dining/recreation area in Court Square, Stradbally, with double overhead permanent canopy structure. Works would involve the reassignment of existing unmarked road space, lay by, unregulated parking area through the installation of perimeter bollards, tarmac surfacing, installation of two overhead parasol/canopy structures and bench seating.”