Another Laois hero remembered
C.D. Cholmely-Harrison (1908-2008)
This week we remember Mr C.D. Cholmeley-Harrison, former owner of Emo Court, who died at home in Emo Court on July 18th 2008. The people of Laois, and the entire country owe Cholmeley a huge debt of gratitude for his wonderful gift to the nation – he handed over the entire house and estate to the President Mary Robinson, on behalf of the people of Ireland, in September 1995. Since then it has been in the care of the Office of Public Works.
Designed by James Gandon, who also designed the Custom House in Dublin, Emo Court was the home of Lord Portarlington and his family. It was later the Jesuit novitiate (and the home of Fr Browne, the famous photographer) for much of the 20th century until Cholmeley purchased it in 1969. Let us remember this man this week.
Courtesy of Frank Smith